Stapedectomy is a surgical procedure in which the innermost bone of the middle ear called stapes is removed and replaced with a small prosthesis (a small plastic tube made of stainless steel wire) which improves the movement of sound to the inner ear.
The stapes can be damaged due to two conditions, one is Otosclerosis and the other one is congenital malformation. Otosclerosis is a hereditary disease that causes an extra bone growth in and around the stapes. This results in tinnitus and decreased hearing.
A stapedectomy surgical procedure is used to treat hearing loss caused by the following conditions:
- When the spongy bone around the base of the stapes hardens.
- The growth that prevents the ear bones from vibrating in response to sound waves
A stapedectomy is the only effective treatment for the conditions like otosclerosis which causes conductive hearing loss. The following are the steps of the procedure:
- At first, a small incision will be made in the ear canal
- Then the skin of the canal is elevated and the bone is curetted
- A small window called fenestra is made in the stapes foot plate
- Then a prosthesis will be placed on the fenestra and the upper end of it will be hooked on the incus bone
- Finally, the stapes supra structure is removed and the hearing of the patient will be checked
A stapedectomy is one of the most rewarding surgical procedure with a very high success rate. The following are the other benefits of Stapedectomy
- The prosthesis placed during the procedure helps the patient to bring back the mobility of the stapes.
- By a stapedectomy a patient who never had a stable stapes will be able to recover from that problem
- The procedure takes about an hour to complete and also the procedure can be done on an outpatient basis
AUM Ent clinic is one of the best Ent clinic in Mumbai offers quality and cost effective treatment for patients.The clinic lead by Dr Shailesh Pandey who is one of the best ENT surgen in Mumbai provides the best and advanced Stapedectomy in Mumbai.
Visit us :aumentclinic.com